Popularity: Simple and very easy to prepare and goes very well with Paruppu Usili
(To prepare for 4/5 members)
1. Toor Dal: 2 tbsps
2. Gram Dal: 1 tsp
3. Rice: 1 tsp
4. Cummin seeds (Jeera): 2 tsps
5. Coriander Seeds (Kothamalli Vithai): 2 tsps
6. Curry Leaves
7. Coriander leaves
9. Sour Butter Milk - 400 ml
11. Green Chillies - 5
12. Ginger – Very Little Amount
13. Coconut Oil - 2 tsps
15. Any vegetable for Thaan like Ladys finger, White Pumpkin (Pooshanikkai), Seppankezhangu
1. Soak Toor Dal, Gram Dal, Rice, Jeera & Coriander seeds in water for 10 to 15 mins.
2. Grind the above soaked ingredients with coconut, green chillies, ginger & very few curry leaves.
3. Add this mixture to the sour butter milk and add salt.
4. For Thaan: Lady's finger, cut them like you cut for sambhar and roast them in oil in kadai till they turn colour lightly and add this to the mixture above. For vegetables like white pumpkin or Seppankezhangu, boil them in water so that they are cooked.
5. Heat this in low flame for 5 mins
6. Season mustard alone using coconut oil. Do NOT add asafoedita while seasoning.
7. Add little of curry and coriander leaves at the end.